Sunday, March 13, 2011

Cover Wars

As a recently self published author, I am trying to navigate the slippery slope that is designing the book covers. I was a graphic designer for 5 years, and trained as a studio artist for 4 years before that. Needless to say creating imagery is not foreign to me, and I find it a pleasing way to spend my time. So I have a tendency to conceptualize a cover in an obscure fashion that does not readily label one of my books as being of a certain genre.

I find that as a romance writer there are some cover expectations that I just don't prescribe to. I don't like the 'disembodied' male chest shots. I believe your hero should have more than just a great set of pecks. He shouldn't be hard on the eyes, but I find those covers to be a little objectifying. I'm for liberation on both sides so I don't see how objectifying the male makes for a great read. With this on the table I've been battling with crying defeat, and creating the romance generic cover with the 'disembodied' male parts and such.

However I believe that representing my novels in this way is misleading. Yes my focus is romance, but the crux of my stories are about highlighting acceptance, compromise, and understanding. I try and focus on the emotional exchange between two people, and the things that bind people beyond physical attraction. I think once a reader gets into one of my novels expecting a certain level of eroticism due to a highly erotic cover and then discovers that the relationship is based on other criteria, they will not look kindly upon my work.

I find myself wondering what other authors have done to make the covers match the pages as it were, and still be an enticing lure to purchasing the book.

Well I did redesign one of my covers to see what would happen. Would sells increase, decrease? Here are my covers, and in coming weeks I hope to broadcast my results. Thoughts?

Old Cover


New Cover

4 comments:

  1. I understand exactly what you mean. I have never liked books with the "Fabio" covers! LOL I vote for the old cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old cover would have me racing across the store to check it out. And then to find out it's an emotional romance, I'd be buying.

    I have a similar concern with Chick Lit. I'm trying to embrace Women's Fiction as my genre over Chick Lit because I do not want neon colors and cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree about disliking the Fabio or "disembodied male parts" cover art. I find that type of cover to be embarrassing and a turn off.

    I prefer romance novel cover art to be more subtle and sweet. Something that offers a clue or two about the story.

    Even if the sex gets steamy, I don't want the cover to tell the world "Hey, this woman is reading about steamy sex!".

    P.S. I like the first cover best.

    ReplyDelete